NOTICE: Summit Valley Horse Center is in compliance with all Summit County Public Health "Business Social Distancing Protocol" regulations.
Become part of an amazing group of dedicated people who love helping kids, adults and horses. SVHC volunteers assist in educational programs and learn to evaluate and rehabilitate rescued horses so they may find forever homes. We offer training for our volunteers who come to us from all levels of experience (free as part of the SVHC Membership Program - see more below).
Volunteering as part of our horse training staff provides experiential learning with horses that assists us in learning more effective communication skills , enhanced emotional self-awareness and leadership skills. Since horses have a natural ability to show us things about ourselves that we may not be aware of, it allows us to make immediate corrections so we can be more successful at applying these techniques to our human relationships. Many of you who have experienced this at the ranch have shared how this knowledge has had a positive effect on your lives, especially in your relationships with others.
Volunteering Three Ways - You Pick!
- Ranch Programs - learn more
- ReSaddled Thrift Store - learn more
- Operations - learn more (Marketing, fundraising, grant writing, websites, etc.)
SVHC Membership Program for Volunteers
We encourage all volunteers and supporters of Summit Valley Horse Center to become annual members of SVHC.
- Membership covers instruction and mentoring for training the rescue horses
- One-on-one mentoring with our seasoned horse handlers to expand your skills
- Rehabilitate fostered rescued horses with the goal of their being adopted
- No minimum or maximum of hours that you may volunteer
- One free trail ride or riding lesson for first time members
- One free Meet the Minis class for any child associated with your membership, e.g. grandchild.
Click Here for Membership Details and to Complete your Application
Get Started - Attend New Volunteer Orientation
After you submit your application you will receive a Welcome note, with a link to enroll in a half day New Volunteer Orientation at Summit Valley Horse Center. Pick the best date for you and sign up on our Calendar (Saturdays from 10am-2pm). Please refer to our Child Volunteer Policy for ages 4-17.
Learn horse psychology and valuable leadership skills, watch a demonstration of using positive energy working with horses, and start interacting with our beautiful horses and mini-horses. We do not ride during Orientation, and there are no prerequisites. We welcome people with all experience levels. Whether you are unfamiliar with horses or an experienced horse handler, and whatever your age, from 8 to 98, you will enjoy this class.
Once you are trained, you can...
- Participate in Advanced Volunteer Training
- Improve your horse handling skills
- Assist with horse rehabilitation
- Learn groundwork, de-sensitization, communication cues
- Round pen work, bodywork and riding (optional)
- Assist participants in our public educational programs for children and adults
Fun Opportunities galore...
At The Ranch
From May through October help with rehabilitating rescued horses. Develop relationships with other like-minded volunteers. Find your happy place:
- Assist in training our rescued horses.
- Learn about sustainability and assist with ranch work such as haying, flood irrigation, carpentry, animal care, or vehicle maintenance.
SVHC’s primary source of funding is our ReSaddled Thrift Store -- it’s a fun place to volunteer year round.
- You need no previous experience - we will show you around and explain what needs doing.
- We love customer-satisfaction-focused retail salespeople, and welcome volunteers with retail merchandising and/or marketing skills.
In Our Non-Profit Operations
Bring your enthusiasm, prior skills and/or gain experience to add to your resume by taking volunteer positions such as:
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Community Ambassador
- Event Manager
- Marketing/Websites/Social Media
- Grant Writing
Our team is always looking for talented people to help run our non-profit
SVHC Volunteers are wonderful to hang out with!
Meet Our Volunteers and hear what they say about their SVHC experiences.
Frisco 4th of July Parade
Elks Lodge Breakfast
Child Volunteer Policy for ages 4-17
Children ages 4-17 are encouraged to volunteer at Summit Valley Horse Center.
- Children ages 4 to 17 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. If a child under 18 would like to volunteer, the parent(s) must also sign up as a volunteer and go through the training program as a family.
- Children ages 4 and older may attend classes with the mini horses.
- Children ages 8 and older may enroll in New Volunteer Orientation.
- Children ages 12 and older may enroll in Advanced Training.